Subject: Re: bug#47588: 28.0.50; C-M-x in emacs-lisp-mode: elisp--eval-defun: Symbol’s function definition is void: nil [3 times]

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 17:21:16 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2021-04-04 10:42]:
> > Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 08:37:08 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > 
> > Since some time, not so long ago, maybe week or weeks, I have noticed
> > that C-M-x cannot evaluate definition when inside of definition. This
> > does not happen in 'emacs -Q' and I have not observed it before.
> > 
> > Error I get is:
> > 
> > elisp--eval-defun: Symbol’s function definition is void: nil [3 times]
> 
> Please set debug-on-error to a non-nil value, repeat the recipe, and
> post a full backtrace here.

I got it by pure incident and observation, here is how you can
replicate it:

1. emacs -Q

2. Go to *scratch* (but it is happening anywhere)

2. Evaluate (number-to-string nil) and get error, do not press Q in
   *Backtrace*, switch back to *scratch*

3. Try evaluating any defun with C-M-x it will give error:
   elisp--eval-defun: Symbol’s function definition is void: nil

4. You can evaluate with C-x C-e on the end of the defun, but not in
   the middle with C-M-x

5. Go to *Backtrace*, click q or erase *Backtrace*, come back and it
   works again.
   
But I am sure I never had this problem before. It started recently,
maybe months, maybe weeks.

Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

Sign an open letter in support of Richard M. Stallman
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/