Subject: bug#47574: 'match' face is too bright

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 16:57:43 +0300

On 14.04.2021 17:55, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> [Resending my reply as I accidentally sent it only to Eli.]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> Juri suggested #ffff88, and it seems good to me. Both readable and
>>> noticeable, yet not too bright.
> 
> I don't see a very large difference between yellow and #ffff88, but I
> guess it's slightly better than what we have now.

What do people think about #ffffbb, then? It's the other color Juri 
mentioned.

Stefan? Eli?

It's also relatively low-key like "lemon chiffon", but a bit more 
noticeable. And it seems to fit the default theme very well.

>>> My original suggestions were "lemon chiffon" (seems ideally subdued to
>>> me, but it would be a drastic change), "khaki1" or "light goldenrod".
> 
> FWIW, I think "lemon chiffon" is by far the best one.  It also fits
> better with the rest of the default theme.
> 
> This is followed by "khaki1" or "light goldenrod", in that order.

I guess we'll fall back to "khaki1" if the more radical options are not 
accepted.

> I'm not against #ffff88 if that's what people want to see, but the
> change is not large enough to make much of a difference here.
> 
>> If we change the face's colors, we should make sure the new colors
>> look well on both light and dark backgrounds.
> 
> Yup.
> 
> I think "khaki3" stands out sufficiently well and goes well together
> with "lemon chiffon", but there is obviously room for experimentation.

If we're talking about dark background, it should be at least khaki4 
(the text is hard to read otherwise), or the RoyalBlue4 I suggested as 
the tweak for the current dark-bg color of this face.

Although the current RoyalBlue3 seems to have about the same level of 
brightness as khaki4. So it's not out of the question to just leave the 
current color there.

If we change the dark-bg color to khaki, I think we'd also need to 
change the spec for ((class color) (min-colors 8) (background dark)), 
and setting it to "yellow" is probably not a good idea.

Wish we had some dark-background users in this discussion.