Subject: bug#47569: ‘qt-build-system’ retains too many references via wrappers

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 21:48:36 +0200

Hi Maxim!

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm not sure why a wrapper is needed in the first place; these
> environment variables are honored by qtbase and defined as search path
> specifications.  It seems if we were to fix '22138 important Search
> paths of dependencies are not honored' we might not have to wrap at all,
> unless we really want to be able to run things outside of a profile
> (directly from the store) -- which is a nice property, but comes at the
> cost of wrappers ugliness (e.g., running 'gdb --args sh
> /path/to/wrapper', then having to load the symbols with 'file
> /path/to/.the-binary-real; or that wrapper's name appearing in manpages
> or other places).
>
> But for the short term, perhaps it's best to copy that strategy?

Agreed on all points.  :-)  Wrappers are ugly, but they’re necessary,
often independently of whether #22138 is fixed.  In this case, they’re
needed so that GLib, Qt, and all their friends find the files they care
about.

Ludo’.