Subject: bug#47566: 28.0.50; diff-hl should use `repeat-mode' ... and not `smartrep'

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 21:12:55 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> An entry in mode-line-modes, à la compilation-in-progress, would be
>> lovely IMO.
>
> compilation-in-progress is a good example of an unobtrusive indicator
> in the mode line.  Now added to repeat-mode.

Thanks!  Was this bit intentional?

> ;;;###autoload
> (put 'mode-line-defining-kbd-macro 'risky-local-variable t)

Also, AFAICT the indication (whether in the mode-line or in the echo
area) only shows up once I start repeating a key (e.g. after C-x o o),
not when I first hit a repeatable key (e.g. after C-x o).

Is this intended?  I figure it would make sense to display the
indication before the user starts repeating, since the indication can
serve as a warning that repetition might occur.

At any rate, thanks a lot for working on this.  (And thanks to all for
the addition to diff-hl!)

> PS: like your message-subject-re-regexp turned the subject into
> "Re: peat lambda" on emacs-devel, it removed the bug number
> from the subject here :)

🤦 Thanks for the heads-up.  IIUC message-subject-re-regexp is used both
by Gnus summary buffers to "canonicalize" subjects in order to only show
them for thread roots, *and* by message-mode to strip cruft before
adding "Re:" to a reply.  I'll need to figure a way to decorrelate those
two uses…

(This is completely off-topic of course; I'm just thinking out loud)