Subject: Re: bug#47566: 28.0.50; diff-hl should use `repeat-mode' ... and not `smartrep'

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 02:54:06 +0300

On 12.04.2021 19:17, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> I can't find the face named 'deemphasized'.
>>
>> Sorry.
>>
>> Apparently, it's a face that only the tango-plus theme defines (unwisely).
>>
>> It simply looks like less contrasting text. Try 'shadow' instead, it's
>> about the same.
> 
> I'm not sure about deemphasizing by default.  But now it's easy to
> customize this, and add any emphazing.

Thanks.

Consider adding a repeat-mode-echo option which follows what Smartrep 
does: instead of adding to the echo area, it just highlights the changed 
state in the mode line (basically a long mode lighter saying 
"========SMARTREP=======") and also colors the mode-line green.

IME that works well as an indicator that we're in a "special" state.

Though perhaps we could use a smaller text (like "[REPEAT]") and only 
color the text inside the brackets, rather than the whole mode-line. 
Could use some experimentation.