Subject: bug#47563: closed (Re: bug#47563: [PATCH v2] gnu: curl: Update to 7.76.0 [security fixes].)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 20:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47563: curl is vulnerable to CVE-2021-22890 and CVE-2021-22876

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47563: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47563
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47563: [PATCH v2] gnu: curl: Update to 7.76.0 [security fixes].
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Léo Le Bouter via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked],Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 16:46:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 09:33:02PM +0200, Léo Le Bouter via Bug reports for GNU Guix wrote:
> Fixes CVE-2021-22876 and CVE-2021-22890.
> 
> * gnu/packages/patches/curl-7.76-use-ssl-cert-env.patch: New patch.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Register it.
> * gnu/packages/curl.scm (curl/fixed): New variable. Apply patch.
> (curl)[replacement]: Graft.

I tweaked the commit message — committer's preference ;) — and pushed
as f4dc8ac6dfa036d98aa0990ae22268a9650899d0.

Thanks!

Subject: curl is vulnerable to CVE-2021-22890 and CVE-2021-22876
From: Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 16:04:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

CVE-2021-22890	01.04.21 20:15
curl 7.63.0 to and including 7.75.0 includes vulnerability that allows
a malicious HTTPS proxy to MITM a connection due to bad handling of TLS
1.3 session tickets. When using a HTTPS proxy and TLS 1.3, libcurl can
confuse session tickets arriving from the HTTPS proxy but work as if
they arrived from the remote server and then wrongly "short-cut" the
host handshake. When confusing the tickets, a HTTPS proxy can trick
libcurl to use the wrong session ticket resume for the host and thereby
circumvent the server TLS certificate check and make a MITM attack to
be possible to perform unnoticed. Note that such a malicious HTTPS
proxy needs to provide a certificate that curl will accept for the
MITMed server for an attack to work - unless curl has been told to
ignore the server certificate check.

CVE-2021-22876	01.04.21 20:15
curl 7.1.1 to and including 7.75.0 is vulnerable to an "Exposure of
Private Personal Information to an Unauthorized Actor" by leaking
credentials in the HTTP Referer: header. libcurl does not strip off
user credentials from the URL when automatically populating the
Referer: HTTP request header field in outgoing HTTP requests, and
therefore risks leaking sensitive data to the server that is the target
of the second HTTP request.

A WIP patch will follow, please help finishing it (rebase curl-CVE-
2021-22890.patch on 7.74.0).