Subject: bug#47545: Guix bug on guix pull

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 22:11:15 +0200

On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 12:09 +0200, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
> Hi Guix Team!
> 
> It seems my Guix has a bug and it asked me to report it to you:

It seems "guix pull" starts with downloading substitutes (well,
the daemon does the downloading, not the "guix pull" command).

> ./guix/store.scm:1373:15: ERROR:
>   1. &store-protocol-error:
>       message: "some substitutes for the outputs of derivation `/gnu/store/hnsk4qjsidn7xk6qb42sgy0ak2gbxbnb-zziplib-0.13.72.drv' failed (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to build derivation from source "
>       status: 1
> guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program '/gnu/store/bg6vs7ahglli408xaifp8rss68ss3qqc-compute-guix-derivation'
> failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version: "a266c9fab88954b7c0fc0516e0a4c9834819dbc5"; system: "x86_64-linux";
> host version: "266d55dc3080475544bf45e72359c9b9bbcecd53"; pull-version: 1).

Seems like a bug with error reporting.  Also, from th ‘bad request line’ message,
this seems a bug in the substituter as well.

> Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>
> ~~~~~~~~
> This has been happening for at least a few days on every `guix pull` invokation.
> 
> Do I need to reinstall Guix?

No.  As a work-around, I recommend running guix pull with --fallback.  If that's
not sufficient, run guix pull with --no-substitutes.

Also, what's the last time the guix daemon was updated?  The substitution code
is ran from the daemon and there have been some fixes to the substitution code
lately.

Greetings,
Maxime.