Subject: Re: bug#47533: bug in dejagnu 1.6.3-rc2

From: Jacob Bachmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 18:14:05 -0500

Tom Tromey wrote:
>>> Usage: dejagnu <command> [--help|options...]
>>>       
>
> Jacob> So how should that be written in GNU convention?
> Jacob> "dejagnu COMMAND [ --help | OPTIONS... ]"?
>
> Yeah.
>   

Fixed in commit ea9642561c3f410dfb9f1362bc61fdf4e499b7f4 on the 
dejagnu-1.6.3 branch.

>>> Third, the use of tabs in the output makes it a bit weird to quote.
>>>       
>
> Jacob> This was done for convenience, including that the help texts are
> Jacob> actually read from the script files where they are "inset" using tabs.  
> Jacob> (The line "# ##help" in the dejagnu launcher script introduces its own
> Jacob> help text.)  What problems does this cause?
>
> None, it just looks unusual and then when I pasted it into the email, it
> indented very weirdly as well.

The "weird" indentation (unaffected by a small bit of left-edge text) is 
intentional in the script files, since the help messages are embedded in 
comments there.  I will consider possibly expanding tabs on output in a 
future version but this is not really a bug right now.

-- Jacob