Subject: bug#47522: 27.2; ERC: Channel Buffers Should Be Unique

From: Emily <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 08:05:05 -0600

Regarding ERC in Emacs 27.2. Reproduction is possible in 'emacs -Q'.

When I'm in an ERC server, 'server-1', and I run:

  /join #channel-1

Then, if I were to join another server, 'server-2', and again, do:

  /join #channel-1

Then, when I look at my buffers via ibuffer, only one channel name
appears. A workaround is to do something like:

  (add-hook 'eww-join-hook
            (lambda ()
              (rename-uniquely)))

But I believe it should be the default behaviour.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-alpine-linux-musl, GTK+ Version 3.24.27)
 of 2021-03-25 built on build-edge-x86_64
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Alpine Linux edge

Recent messages:
Logging in without password
Logging in as ‘muto’... done
Connecting to rnbunker.ydns.eu:6697... 
Logging in as `muto'...
Logging in without password
Logging in as ‘muto’... done
Updating buffer list...done
Updating buffer list...done
Updating buffer list...done
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-alpine-linux-musl
 --host=x86_64-alpine-linux-musl --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var --without-makeinfo
 --with-gameuser=:games --with-gpm --with-harfbuzz --with-json
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-jpeg=yes --with-tiff=no
 CFLAGS=-fno-pie 'CPPFLAGS=-Os -fomit-frame-pointer' LDFLAGS=-no-pie'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM
MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug face-remap warnings mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode
mc-mark-more mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core mhtml-mode css-mode
smie color js imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode geiser-mode geiser-xref
geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-gambit geiser-chibi geiser-mit
geiser-chez geiser-chicken geiser-racket geiser-guile info-look geiser
geiser-repl geiser-image geiser-company geiser-doc geiser-menu
geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval
geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax geiser-log geiser-popup view
geiser-impl geiser-custom geiser-base scheme slime etags fileloop
generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec nnmail gnus-int
gnus-range mail-source rfc2104 mailalias sort mail-extr rmailmm
erc-ibuffer erc-log erc-notify erc-page erc-services erc-sound
erc-speedbar erc-xdcc erc-dcc compile eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe cl-print delsel rect help-fns radix-tree misearch
multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode timezone cl-extra help-mode parse-time
iso8601 url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth network-stream erc-list
erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit server edmacro
kmacro dired-x ls-lisp eww mm-url url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap nsm dns shr url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util svg xml dom elpher ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp erc-loaddefs gnus nnheader
wid-edit doom-gruvbox-light-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base paren
cus-start cus-load finder-inf eloud tls gnutls mu4e desktop frameset
mu4e-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func mu4e-main mu4e-view cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs thingatpt comint ansi-color ring mu4e-headers mu4e-compose
mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif mu4e-lists mule-util hl-line mu4e-vars message rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
mu4e-meta slime-autoloads info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 509999 288880)
 (symbols 48 37498 1)
 (strings 32 164254 23606)
 (string-bytes 1 4706161)
 (vectors 16 58697)
 (vector-slots 8 1442143 144314)
 (floats 8 544 589)
 (intervals 56 5538 5037)
 (buffers 1000 35))