Subject: bug#47500: Hello, I would like to use the Dark Reader extension with IceCat

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 19:11:25 -0400

Hi,

Fafa Kitten <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hello, I would like to use the Dark Reader Extension with GNU IceCat, but
> when I download the source code from its public project repository and
> follow the "Building for use" directions in README.md, then try to install
> the build artifact "build-firefox.xpi" from the about:addons page, IceCat
> prints an error "mozapps IceCat has prevented this site from installing an
> unverified add-on."

Depending on your IceCat's build-time configuration, it might be
sufficient to place the .xpi into <PREFIX>/lib/mozilla/extensions/,
where <PREFIX> is likely either "/usr" or "/usr/local".

You can see your IceCat's build configuration by visiting
<about:buildconfig>, and the relevant option is
"--with-unsigned-addon-scopes=app,system".  That specifies that IceCat
will not require signatures on .xpi files installed in certain
system-wide directories.

If all else fails, you could set "xpinstall.signatures.required" to
"false" in <about:config>.  However, doing so might put you at increased
risk when installing other extensions that you download from the net.

> The project appears to be licensed under the "MIT License" or "Expat
> License".
> Project publicly accessible repository at
> https://github.com/darkreader/darkreader

I'm glad to hear that it's distributed under a free license, but for the
record, IceCat allows you to install any compatible extension that you
wish, regardless of its license.

     Regards,
       Mark