Subject: bug#47497: closed (Re: bug#47497: 28.0.50; dired: does not distinguish between local directory and remote)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47497: 28.0.50; dired: does not distinguish between local directory and remote

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47497: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47497
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47497: 28.0.50; dired: does not distinguish between local directory and remote
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 13:09:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jean,

> If there exists local directory: /scp:static: by using Dired and
> pressing RET, Emacs will try to open connection over Tramp and show
> remote files.
>
> Is Tramp working on improbability that users will never have such
> directories in / root file system?

Tramp handles this case, if instructed. Read the Tramp manual, chapter
"Frequesntly Asked Questions":

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
        − To deactivate TRAMP for some look-alike remote file names,
          set ‘tramp-ignored-file-name-regexp’ to a proper regexp in
          ‘.emacs’.  *Note*, that we don’t use
          ‘customize-set-variable’, in order to avoid loading TRAMP.

               (setq tramp-ignored-file-name-regexp "\\`/ssh:example\\.com:")

          This is needed, if you mount for example a virtual file
          system on your local host’s root directory as
          ‘/ssh:example.com:’.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'm closing the bug, because there's no error. The problem was discussed
in bug#31489 initially.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 28.0.50; dired: does not distinguish between local directory and remote
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 13:54:42 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If there exists local directory: /scp:static: by using Dired and
pressing RET, Emacs will try to open connection over Tramp and show
remote files.

Is Tramp working on improbability that users will never have such
directories in / root file system?

Now I can guess that other similar root directories would also cause
Emacs to behave now how user thinks, as it relies on improbabilities and
not file verification.

  /:
  total used in directory 112K available 27.8 GiB
  lrwxrwxrwx   1    7 Feb  7 07:29 bin -> usr/bin
  drwxr-xr-x   3 4.0K Mar 15 11:40 boot
  drwxr-xr-x  20 3.9K Mar 29 14:56 dev
  drwxr-xr-x  82 4.0K Mar 29 18:15 etc
  drwxr-xr-x   7 4.0K Nov  5 13:50 home
  lrwxrwxrwx   1    7 Feb  7 07:29 lib -> usr/lib
  lrwxrwxrwx   1    7 Feb  7 07:29 lib64 -> usr/lib
  drwx------   2  16K Mar 15 10:48 lost+found
  drwxr-xr-x   9 4.0K Mar 28 13:06 mnt
  drwxr-xr-x   2 4.0K Sep 28  2020 opt
  drwxr-xr-x   5 4.0K Mar 18 10:19 package
  dr-xr-xr-x 245    0 Mar 29 08:18 proc
  drwxr-x---  13 4.0K Mar 30 13:39 root
  drwxr-xr-x  21  700 Mar 30 12:34 run
  lrwxrwxrwx   1    7 Feb  7 07:29 sbin -> usr/bin
  drwxr-xr-x   2 4.0K Mar 30 13:51 scp:static:
  drwxr-xr-x   4 4.0K Mar 15 11:12 srv
  dr-xr-xr-x  13    0 Mar 29 08:18 sys
  drwxrwxrwt   6  48K Mar 29 16:39 tmp
  drwxr-xr-x   9 4.0K Mar 18 10:21 usr
  drwxr-xr-x  13 4.0K Mar 28 11:18 var

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.17.4, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2021-03-22 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: cb5d1fe1aa9f280d60fcb33b58fc83ace3d95081
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 55095 8914)
 (symbols 48 7046 1)
 (strings 32 20619 1763)
 (string-bytes 1 649562)
 (vectors 16 13853)
 (vector-slots 8 181036 8554)
 (floats 8 23 46)
 (intervals 56 252 0)
 (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns