Subject: Re: bug#47493: 27.1; auto-save-file-name-transforms with uniquify should not create invalid filenames

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 14:42:17 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Maybe we could have a flag which means "convert the directory part of a
>>> file name into sha1" (or whatever `secure-hash' provides).
>>
>> Nobody has commented. Well, in a couple of days I will push the appended
>> patch, unless there are objections.
>
> As far as I can tell, the patch wasn't pushed?

No. It is in my todo queue, but I wanted to check first, whether Tramp
needs some changes in its own implementation of make-auto-save-file-name

>> + If the optional element UNIQUIFY is a symbol returned by function
>> + `secure-hash-algorithms', the auto-save file name is constructed
>> + by taking the directory part of the replaced file-name,
>> + concatenated with the buffer file name run through `secure-hash'
>> + instead.  This returns a valid name for your filesystem any way.
>
> Vladimir didn't have any examples for invalid file names, apparently,
> but it looks like a good change to me.  (I.e., being able to opt in to
> using a hash instead of !!-ing.)

The patch is planned to be pushed, once I find the time to fix that
remaining question. Or does somebody else want to eat this cookie?

Best regards, Michael.