Subject: bug#47493: 27.1; auto-save-file-name-transforms with uniquify should not create invalid filenames

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 10:24:16 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Glenn,

>> Nobody has commented.
>
> You asked for an example of why this was needed; I was waiting to hear
> the answer.

Same here. However, the docstring of auto-save-file-name-transforms
speaks about the problem, so I believe it is a real one.

>> + If the optional element UNIQUIFY is a symbol returned by function
>> + `secure-hash-algorithms', the auto-save file name is constructed
>> + by taking the directory part of the replaced file-name,
>> + concatenated with the buffer file name run through `secure-hash'
>> + instead.  This returns a valid name for your filesystem any way.
>
> Grammar tweaks:
>
> If UNIQUIFY is one of the members of `secure-hash-algorithms',
> Emacs constructs the nondirectory part of the auto-save file name by
> applying that `secure-hash' to the buffer file name. This avoids any
> risk of excessively long file names.

Thanks!

Best regards, Michael.