Subject: Re: bug#47479: inkscape retains a reference to imagemagick, even though it is in native-inputs

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 10:15:07 -0400

Hi Leo et al.,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 04:55:13AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> I see now that I'm using an older version, although I would have
>> preferred the newer one.  I refer to the variable name 'inkscape' from
>> my manifest file, and I expected that to point to the latest stable
>> version.  However, it seems that one must use the 'inkscape-1.0'
>> variable to get the latest stable version.  That's seems suboptimal.
>> 
>> I wonder if the 'inkscape' variable should be renamed 'inkscape/stable'
>> (for use in packages such as 'dblatex/stable'), and then 'inkscape'
>> could be repurposed to point to the latest stable version.  Thoughts?
>
> I think we should do this, or even remove the old Inkscape package now.
>
> I'm guessing the reason for keeping the older release series is that
> the Inkscape save-file format changed?

The reason [email-masked] is still kept around is becauseInkscape@1
doesn't build on ARM (more accurately, one of its dependencies,
lib2geom, doesn't).  It's been a while since I looked at the issue, and
it seems there may have been some activity in lib2geom upstream to try
to address the problem, so we should revisit it.

Maxim