Subject: Re: bug#47479: inkscape retains a reference to imagemagick, even though it is in native-inputs

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 18:48:16 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 04:55:13AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> I wonder if the 'inkscape' variable should be renamed 'inkscape/stable'
>> (for use in packages such as 'dblatex/stable'), and then 'inkscape'
>> could be repurposed to point to the latest stable version.  Thoughts?
>
> I think we should do this,

Thanks.

> or even remove the old Inkscape package now.

I don't think we can remove the old Inkscape, because 'inkscape' is an
input of 'dblatex/stable', which 'gtk-doc/stable' depends on.

There might or might not be other reasons to keep an older version of
'inkscape' around, but either way, if 'gtk-doc/stable' depends on
Inkscape, I think we'd better have an 'inkscape/stable' too, so that our
'inkscape' package can be freely updated on 'master'.

Going forward, if it turns out that Inkscape is not truly needed as an
input to 'dblatex/stable', and moreover, if _nothing_ deep in our stack
truly needs to depend on Inkscape, then we could perhaps eliminate
'inkscape/stable' altogether.  However, that would need to happen on
either 'core-updates' or 'staging' (or similar), because changing
'dblatex/stable' entails too many rebuilds.

What do you think?

    Thanks,
      Mark