Subject: bug#47437: closed (Re: bug#47437: 28.0.50; pulse-momentary-highlight-overlay breaks if background color is inherited)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 12:32:01 +0000

Your bug report

#47437: 28.0.50; pulse-momentary-highlight-overlay breaks if background color is inherited

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47437: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47437
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47437: 28.0.50; pulse-momentary-highlight-overlay breaks if background color is inherited
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Ingo Lohmar <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 15:31:31 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Ingo Lohmar <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 22:34:46 +0100
> 
> 
> The bug surfaces after setting the pulse highlight face by inheriting
> from other faces (no explicit background attribute), for example like
> this:
> 
> (custom-set-faces
>  '(pulse-highlight-start-face ((t (:inherit highlight))) 'new))
> 
> I do this as I employ a restricted set of color faces from which all
> others inherit.  With the above setting, run `xref-find-definitions'
> (M-.) on an elisp symbol.  This triggers
> `pulse-momentary-highlight-overlay', which fails at
> 
>     (color-name-to-rgb
>      (face-background 'pulse-highlight-start-face))
> 
> because the background attribute is `nil'.  Adding the "inherit"
> argument works, at least in the above case:
> 
>     (color-name-to-rgb
>      (face-background 'pulse-highlight-start-face nil t))

Thanks, I made that change on master now, except that I used 'default'
instead of t, to make sure the returned value is always a color name.

Subject: 28.0.50; pulse-momentary-highlight-overlay breaks if background color is inherited
From: Ingo Lohmar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 22:34:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The bug surfaces after setting the pulse highlight face by inheriting
from other faces (no explicit background attribute), for example like
this:

(custom-set-faces
 '(pulse-highlight-start-face ((t (:inherit highlight))) 'new))

I do this as I employ a restricted set of color faces from which all
others inherit.  With the above setting, run `xref-find-definitions'
(M-.) on an elisp symbol.  This triggers
`pulse-momentary-highlight-overlay', which fails at

    (color-name-to-rgb
     (face-background 'pulse-highlight-start-face))

because the background attribute is `nil'.  Adding the "inherit"
argument works, at least in the above case:

    (color-name-to-rgb
     (face-background 'pulse-highlight-start-face nil t))

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-03-27 built on kenko
Repository revision: 5d2f319eec33fea2cb29a02210952ee590b4b21b
Repository branch: feature/pgtk
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  ess-elisp-trace-mode: Toggle tracing of ess-prefixed functions.
Tracing is useful for debugging background ESS behaviour. When
enabled, all functions prefixed in `ess-' and `inferior-ess' are
instrumented with `trace-function'. Tracing is turned off by
calling `untrace-function' on these functions.
  company-skewer-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  idle-highlight-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  goto-address-prog-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  pollen-global-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  enchive-mode: t
  selectrum-prescient-mode: t
  prescient-persist-mode: t
  amx-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  company-posframe-mode: t
  company-statistics-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  beginend-global-mode: t
  beginend-prog-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  my/window-number-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  ctrlf-mode: t
  ctrlf-local-mode: t
  selectrum-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug dired-addons notmuch-jump magit-extras
mc-addons slime-tests ob-ditaa ob-plantuml ol-bibtex bibtex-config
bibtex-clean-addons bibtex org-colview org-crypt-config org-crypt
org-habit notmuch-config notmuch notmuch-hello cus-edit wid-edit
notmuch-tree notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua
notmuch-message notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address
notmuch-company notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj notmuch-query
icalendar notmuch-tag notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat cl
mm-view mml-smime smime dig notmuch-addons systemd gitconfig-mode
preview reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex-toc-patch reftex-toc reftex-config
reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars tex-buf font-latex latex-config
latex-addons latex-mode-expansions latex latex-flymake tex-ispell
tex-style tex-config tex texmathp tex-mode macrostep-c cmacexp macrostep
cus-start cus-load cal-move ox-org ox-md ox-odt ox-latex ox-icalendar
ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox sql-config sql-addons sql pulse
apropos my-grep pcre2el rxt re-builder edebug eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe shortdoc hippie-expand-config my-mode-groups hippie-expand-addons
my-flex-search hippie-exp my-completion ctrlf hl-line solar cal-dst
holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso org-duration
org-addons julia-mode julia-mode-latexsubs rust-addons rust-config
rust-mode make-mode cs-mode cc-langs cursor-sensor ess-r-mode
ess-r-flymake ess-r-xref ess-trns ess-r-package ess-r-completion
ess-roxy ess-r-syntax ess-rd ess-s-lang ess-help ess-mode ess-inf
ess-tracebug ess ess-utils ess-custom geiser-config geiser-mode
geiser-xref geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-patch geiser-gambit
geiser-chibi geiser-mit geiser-chez geiser-chicken geiser-racket
geiser-guile info-look geiser-repl geiser-image geiser-company
geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-autodoc
geiser-eval geiser-connection geiser-syntax geiser-log geiser-popup view
scheme company-skewer skewer-addons skewer-repl skewer-mode cache-table
js2-mode-expansions js2-mode simple-httpd js-config js-flymake-backends
js-patch js-mode-expansions js cc-mode-expansions cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
slime-config slime arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct nxml-addons nxml-mode-expansions rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap html-mode-expansions sgml-mode facemenu
nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok restclient magit-bookmark bookmark magit-patch
magit-subtree magit-ediff ediff-config ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult
ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util mule-util
face-remap magit-addons magit-repos-addons tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent magit-config
magit-bundle forge-config forge-list forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls
forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic
bug-reference forge-post markdown-mode edit-indirect color forge-repo
forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-config smerge-mode diff
git-commit log-edit message-config sendmail message-addons message rmc
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git
magit-section magit-utils hi-lock cl-print my-misc-funs char-fold
two-column window-addons my-window-funs windmove server time fish-mode
go-config go-flymake-backends go-mode find-file ffap my/publish-blog
racket-mode racket-bug-report package url-handlers racket-collection tq
racket-repl-buffer-name racket-stepper racket-logger racket-profile
racket-smart-open racket-xp racket-xp-complete racket-show pos-tip
racket-imenu racket-edit racket-repl semantic/symref/grep wgrep-patch
wgrep grep-config grep semantic/symref semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
racket-eldoc racket-describe shr kinsoku puny svg dom browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf mailcap racket-visit racket-complete racket-common
racket-parens racket-indent racket-font-lock racket-ppss
racket-keywords-and-builtins ido racket-doc racket-cmd racket-util
racket-browse-url racket-custom sh-flymake-backends my-flymake-addons
sh-script smie executable rx zig-config zig-mode jka-compr conf-mode
display-fill-column-indicator subword-patch subword-mode-expansions
cap-words superword subword idle-highlight-mode rainbow-delimiters
my-outshine hideshow my-eol-fix goto-addr org-indent image-file
image-converter org-element avl-tree disp-table vc-hg vc-src vc-svn
vc-git diff-mode org-capture-config org-config my-org-contacts
org-protocol ob-scheme geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree geiser-custom
geiser-base geiser ob-dot ob-js ob-sql ob-latex ob-python python-config
python-el-fgallina-expansions python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat parse-time iso8601
ls-lisp-config ls-lisp-patch ls-lisp ob-shell shell-config shell
org-attach org-id org-clock org-agenda org-refile
the-org-mode-expansions org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities time-date fold-config noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec calendar-config cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs home-config my-ms-proj-mode elisp-addons
xref-addons hl-todo flymake-config help-at-pt eglot-config eglot array
jsonrpc ert pp ewoc debug backtrace flymake-proc flymake warnings
compile-config dired-subtree dired-hacks-utils dash dired-async async
dired-guess dired-aux dired-config dired-patch dired dired-loaddefs
compile-addons compile text-property-search comint-config comint
ansi-color url-util url-parse secrets dbus xml auth-source
password-cache url-vars imenu json pollen occur-config faces-config
my-solarized-colors modeline-config ui-config xt-mouse enchive-mode
my-project vc vc-dispatcher selectrum-prescient selectrum-addons
selectrum minibuf-eldef crm prescient amx s savehist mb-depth
company-posframe subr-x posframe company-statistics company-keywords
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev etags-addons company-etags etags
fileloop generator xref project eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
company-gtags company-template company-capf company-elisp find-func
company-config company pcase ace-link avy map tabify beginend
multiple-cursors mc-separate-operations rectangular-region-mode
mc-mark-pop mc-edit-lines mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more
mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core rect expand-region
text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom delsel indent-config indent-addons sexp-addons
thingatpt paren elec-pair my-fill easy-mmode which-key advice
tab-bar-addons desktop-config my-aux-funs desktop frameset
my-window-numbers display-actions locals-patch ws-butler my-file-funs
diminish autorevert filenotify so-long my-loaddefs edmacro kmacro
cl-extra help-mode seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-seq
hydra ring lv cl-loaddefs cl-lib my-setup-funs info tex-site
slime-autoloads iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 4011127 492190)
 (symbols 48 64096 6)
 (strings 32 342690 37556)
 (string-bytes 1 10603491)
 (vectors 16 131341)
 (vector-slots 8 2491637 239821)
 (floats 8 1428 2728)
 (intervals 56 456816 6619)
 (buffers 992 216))