Subject: Re: [bug#47433] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add the-foundation.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 14:12:55 -0400

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 02:46:28PM +0100, Léo Le Bouter via Guix-patches via wrote:
> * gnu/packages/web.scm (the-foundation): New variable.

Thanks!

> +(define-public the-foundation
> +  (let ((commit "8172d35cad24ec392bfd27e1f4de3a2205f988d2"))

Please add a "revision" variable ...

> +    (package
> +      (name "the-foundation")
> +      (version (string-take commit 7))

... and use the git-version procedure, as described in the manual
section Version Numbers:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Version-Numbers.html

> +      (native-inputs
> +       `(("git" ,git-minimal)

Does it only use Git at build-time, and not keep a reference to the Git
package? You can check like this:

$ guix gc --references $(guix build --no-grafts thefoundation) | grep git

If it keeps a reference, then Git should be a regular input. I ask
because it's unusual for Guix packages to need to Git as a
native-inputs, because the .git directory is deleted before building,
and there is no network access at build time.

Otherwise, looks good to me.