Subject: Re: bug#47431: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 15:02:48 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:31:59 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> >> Possibly with a cache to mitigate the above problem.
> >
> > I'd wait with caching until we see a performance problem.  It isn't like 
> > people are expected to invoke this command many times in a row.
> >
> 
> I think you misunderstood what I meant.  The idea would be to cache the 
> replies from the whois.iana.org server, not those of the final whois 
> server.  IOW, the idea would be to dynamically build a local database 
> instead of relying on a hard-coded list.

I understand that, and I'm still questioning the need for such a
cache.

If you have a cache, you need to manage it: add items that aren't
there, delete items no longer pertinent, etc.  Emacs sessions can run
for many moons, so the cache will have to be dynamically adjusted.  By
contrast, requesting the list each time a query is invoked is much
easier, so if performance is reasonable, why bother with a cache and
risk subtle issues?