Subject: bug#47431: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:31:59 +0000

>>>> IOW, without a built-in list, each whois query would create two 
>>>> requests, one to whois.iana.org, and one to the actual whois server.
>>>
>>> I don't see any problems with that, do you?
>>
>> In principle, I don't see any problems.  But I seem to recall that RMS 
>> dislikes solutions that make unnecessary network connections, or IOW 
>> that avoidable network connections should be avoided.
>>
>> If you agree on the general design, I'd be happy to implement it.
>
> I don't see a problem, no.  We frequently make network connections when 
> necessary.
>
>> Possibly with a cache to mitigate the above problem.
>
> I'd wait with caching until we see a performance problem.  It isn't like 
> people are expected to invoke this command many times in a row.
>

I think you misunderstood what I meant.  The idea would be to cache the 
replies from the whois.iana.org server, not those of the final whois 
server.  IOW, the idea would be to dynamically build a local database 
instead of relying on a hard-coded list.