Subject: Re: bug#47431: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.

From: Hongyi Zhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 08:19:05 +0800

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 4:23 AM Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> >> [2] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rfc1036/whois/next/tld_serv_list
> >
> > The list originates at whois.iana.org...  which is a server that seems
> > to respond to whois queries nicely.  So we could just update
> > whois-server-name to that?  And remove whois-server-tld.
> >
>
> That would be ideal/simpler, but whois.iana.org only contains information
> about the whois server to use for each TLD.  For instance whois -h
> whois.iana.org gnu.org tells you that the whois server to contact is
> whois.pir.org.  IOW, without a built-in list, each whois query would
> create two requests, one to whois.iana.org, and one to the actual whois
> server.  IOW again, a whois request would become:
>
> whois -h $(whois -h whois.iana.org DOMAIN | grep '^whois:' | cut -d: -f2) DOMAIN
>
> Would that be acceptable?

The suggested method really can do the trick:

;;; begin quote
$ whois -h $(whois -h whois.iana.org facebook.com | grep '^whois:' |
cut -d: -f2) facebook.com
   Domain Name: FACEBOOK.COM
   Registry Domain ID: 2320948_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.registrarsafe.com
   Registrar URL: http://www.registrarsafe.com
   Updated Date: 2020-03-10T18:53:59Z
   Creation Date: 1997-03-29T05:00:00Z
   Registry Expiry Date: 2028-03-30T04:00:00Z
   Registrar: RegistrarSafe, LLC
   Registrar IANA ID: 3237
   Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email-masked]
   Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1-650-308-7004
   Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
   Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
   Domain Status: serverDeleteProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#serverDeleteProhibited
   Domain Status: serverTransferProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#serverTransferProhibited
   Domain Status: serverUpdateProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#serverUpdateProhibited
   Name Server: A.NS.FACEBOOK.COM
   Name Server: B.NS.FACEBOOK.COM
   Name Server: C.NS.FACEBOOK.COM
   Name Server: D.NS.FACEBOOK.COM
   DNSSEC: unsigned
   URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2021-03-29T00:14:06Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar.  Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois
database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry
Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for
information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not
guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide
by the following terms of use: You agree that you may use this Data only
for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data
to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,
or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to
use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or
query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register
domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right
to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to ensure
operational stability.  VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to the
Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

;;; end quote

But I'm not sure if this is the standard query procedures
suggested/defined by the whois protocol itself.

Regards
-- 
Assoc. Prof. Hongyi Zhao <[email-masked]>
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China