Subject: Re: bug#47431: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 16:19:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think we should simply update the list of servers we use, it sounds
> like what we have is outdated.  The default should be useful and
> easily reachable.  But I'm not an expert on this stuff.

Oh, sure; we should fix whois.el.  I was just wondering whether there
was something odd going on in our basic networking layer here.

I let the connect run for longer, and I do seem to reliably get timeouts
here.  It's just that they take a long time -- this one ran for about
five minutes before I got:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Failed connect" "Connection timed out")
  make-network-process(:name "Whois" :buffer #<buffer *scratch*> :host "rs.internic.net" :service 43 :nowait nil :tls-parameters nil :coding nil)

That is an excessive timeout...  but I guess this is up to the OS?  We
don't specify a timeout in the make-network-process function, I think?
(It's been a while since I've read it...)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no