Subject: Re: bug#47431: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 11:01:36 +0000

>> The manpage of whois says: "This version of the whois client tries to 
>> guess the right server to ask for the specified object. If no guess can 
>> be made it will connect to whois.networksolutions.com for NIC handles 
>> or whois.arin.net for IPv4 addresses and network names."
>
> We don't use the external 'whois' command, so its man page is not 
> relevant, I think.
>

Indeed.  Would it not make sense to use the external whois command if it 
is available, and to fall back to the Lisp code when it is not?

In any case, the whois-server-tld alist needs to be updated, it has only 
15 entries [1], the whois client for GNU/Linux has more than 400 (see 
[2]).  And these 400 are only for the domain name lookups, there are two 
others for IP addresses, another for NIC handles, and another one for AS 
numbers...

[1] Its first entry is not a valid server name, all other ones except the 
"org" and "mil" are valid server names but are not the appropriate server 
for the corresponding TLD.

[2] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rfc1036/whois/next/tld_serv_list