Subject: bug#47424: 28.0.50; enable-theme shows an empty list

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 14:47:29 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:05:43 -0500
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > With themes, you can load several ones and then enable/disable any of
> > them whenever you see fit.
> 
> I don't see why a user would want/need to load a theme if she does not
> intend to use it.

The user does intend to use these themes, just not right away and not
all of them.  It's a valid use case to want to switch to another
theme, e.g. because someone wants one theme in the morning and another
in the evening.

> What am I missing?

I don't think you are missing anything, you just disregard everything
I say in response and keep repeating the same claims and questions.
That's not a useful discussion method.  I'm tempted to stop responding
because it just wastes my time.  Sorry for being blunt.

> > Under your proposal, disabling a theme would be impossible without
> > unloading it, and that might not be easy to do cleanly.
> 
> I'm not sure I follow; I see no need to make it symmetrical in that
> sense.

So loading the theme will enable it, but disabling will not unload it?
Then how to I re-enable a theme that was disabled? by loading it the
second time?

> In the same way, we don't bother unloading a library just because
> the major-mode involved is not used in any buffer.  But we do
> provide a way to autoload major modes.

Themes are not like modes, they are in effect in the entire Emacs
session, in all of the buffers.  You cannot evade a theme by going to
another buffer like you do with modes.