Subject: Re: bug#47386: dejagnu help tests FAIL on Solaris

From: Jacob Bachmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 23:19:16 -0500

Rainer Orth wrote:
> There are only two testsuite failures when running make check on Solaris
> 11.3 for dejagnu 1.6.3-rc1:
>
> FAIL: dejagnu help selects dejagnu(1) manpage
> FAIL: dejagnu help help selects dejagnu-help(1) manpage
>
> They are from testsuite/launcher.all/help.exp, but unfortunately
> launcher.log gives no further information but the FAILs.
>   

That code uses Tcl's exec(n) instead of Expect, so the output does not 
end up in the log.  A copy of the output from each launcher run is now 
placed in the log.

> [...] Solaris man doesn't support
>
> man <filename>
>
> at all and there's no equivalent.  The only way seems to have the
> regular directory structure with .../man/man1, then run man -M .../man
> dejagnu.
>   

The "man <filename>" form is only used when executing "dejagnu help" 
from the source tree:  once DejaGnu has been installed, the "man <page>" 
syntax will be used.  These tests are now UNSUPPORTED on Solaris, since 
the system tools do not support a feature they need.

> Besides, Solaris man doesn't support MANPAGER either, only PAGER.

I have also added that; the tests only set MANPAGER to echo(1) to ensure 
that the result of actually executing man(1) do not block waiting for input.

This should be fixed as of commit 
a8a331ee5b0953ee3ca11764e4a6e4f2af8722c9 on the dejagnu-1.6.3 branch 
which will be included in release candidate 2.

-- Jacob