Subject: bug#47366: 27.1; Tags search (regexp): FAILS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:24:33 +0200

"Bob Floyd" <[email-masked]> writes:

> When I do a “tags-search FooFoo” sometimes the search stops in a
> buffer at the wrong line. FooFoo is indeed in the buffer, but can be
> many lines away from where emacs stopped. If I “kill-buffer” (C-x k)
> and restart the “tags-search” then emacs stops at the correct line
> where FooFoo is. I think this happens when I do a “tags-search”, make
> edits in the buffer, then “save-some-buffers” (C-x s) followed by a
> 2nd “tags-search” that then fails.
>
> It appears maybe that the regex compiler isn’t run after the edits?
>
> Sorry I can’t provide an exact sequence of commands for you to see it,
> it doesn’t happen always (maybe it doesn’t even stop in the buffer and
> I don’t notice), but perhaps you can recognize the issue.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I tried reproducing this in Emacs 29, but was unable to.  But I'm not
sure I'm testing the right thing.

Do you still see this problem in recent Emacs versions?  If so, could
you try to come up with a complete recipe to reproduce the problem?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no