Subject: bug#47360: 27.1; using 'bar cursor, mouseclick is rounded to the wrong char position

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:39:29 +0100

Julian Rohrhuber <[email-masked]> writes:

> But when in bar mode, it should jump to the right when the click is
> right of the middle of the character, and only left when to its left
> of the middle.
>
> Instead, it also jumps to the left.

The cursor shape is purely cosmetic at present, I think.  Your
suggestion to add semantics to the bar shape makes some intuitive sense,
but I'm afraid that might leave us open to user interface
inconsistencies unless considered carefully.

Are there other instances we might want to do something based on the
cursor shape other than setting point with the mouse, I wonder?  Would
"marking an area to the left" (i.e., clicking on a character and then
dragging to the left) be handled differently?  In that case, dragging
starting with the mouse at any point right of the bar cursor should
perhaps include the character under point, and not just at the half-way
point?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no