Subject: connman permissions

From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 09:16:29 -0800

Short description: In Guix, controlling connman seems to require root
permissions, but a non-root user should be able to control it.

Longer description: I am running a DE with slim + elogind + lxqt +
connman. When logged in to lxqt, I can run applications like csmt and
connmanctl to control connman, but if I start them as a non-root user,
I get a chain of dbus permission errors and am not able to see or
change network settings.

I have attached my system config file as well as info about my Guix
commit and system hardware.

Looking at Guix source, it appears that lxqt-desktop-service-type has
polkit settings, but I'm not seeing something similiar in the source
for connman package (connman.scm). I checked with the folks on #connman
and they said that connman does provide a polkit policy file which
should be working in conjunction with elogind, the standard location
being /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/net.connman.policy.

It could just be a problem with my system config definition, of course,
but it is not obvious to me, and it didn't seem to be anything obvious
to the folks on #guix IRC.