Subject: bug#47326: closed (Re: bug#47326: connman permissions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 12:42:04 +0000

Your bug report

#47326: connman permissions

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47326: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47326
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47326: connman permissions
From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 04:41:26 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Is this still a problem?  It seems the connman-service-type should take
> care of extending polkit with its actions correctly already, from a cursory
> review.

I'm not sure, as I stopped using it a long time ago. I'll go ahead an close this bug.

-- 
Christopher Howard

Subject: connman permissions
From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 09:16:29 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Short description: In Guix, controlling connman seems to require root
permissions, but a non-root user should be able to control it.

Longer description: I am running a DE with slim + elogind + lxqt +
connman. When logged in to lxqt, I can run applications like csmt and
connmanctl to control connman, but if I start them as a non-root user,
I get a chain of dbus permission errors and am not able to see or
change network settings.

I have attached my system config file as well as info about my Guix
commit and system hardware.

Looking at Guix source, it appears that lxqt-desktop-service-type has
polkit settings, but I'm not seeing something similiar in the source
for connman package (connman.scm). I checked with the folks on #connman
and they said that connman does provide a polkit policy file which
should be working in conjunction with elogind, the standard location
being /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/net.connman.policy.

It could just be a problem with my system config definition, of course,
but it is not obvious to me, and it didn't seem to be anything obvious
to the folks on #guix IRC.