Subject: Re: bug#47291: [PATCH] Auto-detect ns-appearance of frames and call a hook when it changes

From: Daphne Preston-Kendal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 20:03:04 +0200

On 23 Mar 2021, at 19:05, Matt Armstrong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I suggested an alternative approach on emacs-devel -- use the
> dynamic-setting.el mechanism which is used for GTK but expressed in a
> general way.

I took a look at dynamic-setting.el but couldn’t quite see how what
this patch does would fit in with it/how it would enable the same
functionality as this patch provides. It doesn’t seem to be
documented? (Though in fairness, either is my patch at the moment!)

The goal of this patch is to allow Emacs to automatically select
different themes depending on the system-wide setting, and
automatically change which theme is in use when the system-wide
setting changes. There may be multiple themes involved in the change —
for instance, I would want the light smart-mode-line theme plus light
buffer theme enabled when the system is in light mode, but both should
be deactivated and changed to the dark smart-mode-line and buffer
themes when the system changes to dark mode.

Is it possible to do that within the framework of what dynamic-setting
provides? Sorry if this is obvious, I’m just not familiar with this
bit of Emacs.

Daphne