Subject: bug#47260: closed (Re: Package GNU MediaGoblin as a Guix service)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2025 01:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47260: Package GNU MediaGoblin as a Guix service

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47260: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47260
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Package GNU MediaGoblin as a Guix service
From: jgart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Christopher Lemmer Webber <[email-masked]>,Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>, "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]>, jgart <[email-masked]>, Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 19:15:54 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I'm going to close this ticket for now in order to focus the issue
tracker on things that need to be reviewed and merged immediately.

Feel free to create a new issue when the mediagoblin package and/or
service are ready to have patches reviewed for inclusion in upstream
Guix.

Thanks!

-- 
all the best,
jgart

Subject: Package GNU MediaGoblin as a Guix service
From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked],Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 23:20:33 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is a "meta" bug to keep track of the progress of packaging GNU
MediaGoblin, a platform for publishing images/audio/video etc. See
https://mediagoblin.org/

We have a guix-env.scm in the upstream source which should always have
the latest copy of our packaging progress and instructions to run it:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/mediagoblin.git/tree/guix-env.scm

Current plan is:

1. Add OGG support to libsndfile which is needed to package
python-soundfile [patch 47210]

2. Package python-soundfile (see above). After this the test suite
should pass 100% with pytest installed from PyPI [patch 47181]

3. Work out why python-pytest-6/python-pytest-xdist/python-pytest-forked
in Guix seem to be incompatible. After this our test suite should run
100% with only dependencies from Guix!

4. Package MediaGoblin itself. The build process is ./configure/make
which is a bit weird for a Python project.

5. Get a basic Guix service working, with sqlite3 and without the
offloaded media transcoding currently using Celery/RabbitMQ.

6. Rewrite MediaGoblin's JavaScript code not to use jQuery. Maybe
improve the no-bundled-JavaScript video/audio playing experience.

7. Work out why H264 support is missing.

8. Either package RabbitMQ (probably hard) or rewrite MediaGoblin's
processing backend from Celery/RabbitMQ to RQ/Redis. Celery has been
implicated in many bugs anyway, so there may benefits to the project to
doing this anyway.

9. Figure out how to deal with translations.

10. Add a PostgreSQL database to the Guix service instead of sqlite3.

11. We win. Maybe :)