Subject: bug#47260: Package GNU MediaGoblin as a Guix service

From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 15:12:48 +1100

Just an update:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021, Ben Sturmfels wrote:

> 1. Add OGG support to libsndfile which is needed to package
> python-soundfile [patch 47210]

lfam pointed out that this has already been done in 46067, which is now
in core-updates awaiting merging into master:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46067

For the time being, we've also copied the updated libsndfile into
MediaGoblin's guix-env.scm.

> 2. Package python-soundfile (see above). After this the test suite
> should pass 100% with pytest installed from PyPI [patch 47181]

We now have a local copy of python-soundfile in MediaGoblin's
guix-env.scm which is passing all audio tests. Yay!

> 3. Work out why python-pytest-6/python-pytest-xdist/python-pytest-forked
> in Guix seem to be incompatible. After this our test suite should run
> 100% with only dependencies from Guix!

Discovered we'll also need to upgrade Guix's python-wtforms, but in the
mean time, installing only wtforms, pytest, pytest-xdist, pytest-forked
from PyPI allows us to pass the test suite 100% Getting closer!

> ...
> 8. Either package RabbitMQ (probably hard) or rewrite MediaGoblin's
> processing backend from Celery/RabbitMQ to RQ/Redis. Celery has been
> implicated in many bugs anyway, so there may benefits to the project to
> doing this anyway.

I learnt that Celery has a Redis backend, so maybe we don't need to
rewrite just yet.

Regards,
Ben