Subject: [bug#47251] [core-updates] [patch] gnu: python: Enable optimizations.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 14:47:44 +0200

Hi Julien,

Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>>From c72e34aa0eb0db589557e047c5db0128273d5d12 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 23:41:40 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] gnu: python: Enable optimizations.
>
> As a result, python execution time of scripts is decreased by 6 to 40%.
>
> gnu/packages/python (python-2.7)[arguments]: Add configure and make flags to
> optimize the resulting python.

LGTM!  Great that you found about these options.

I wonder what can be done to reduce the package size.  On
‘core-updates’, we’re already stripping ELF binaries a bit more than on
‘master’.

What does ‘size …/bin/python’ say?  Could it be there’s GIMPLE left in
the executable or in libpython.so as a result of using -flto?

Thanks,
Ludo’.