Subject: bug#4725 closed by Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#4725: 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?))

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:55:07 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4725: 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?)

It has been closed by Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4725: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4725
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4725: 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?)
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:44:18 +0200

>> What is missing now and candidates to be implemented are
>> 8 analogous commands:
>>
>>   multi-isearch-buffers
>>   multi-isearch-buffers-regexp
>>   multi-isearch-buffers-matching
>>   multi-isearch-buffers-regexp-matching
>>   multi-isearch-files
>>   multi-isearch-files-regexp
>>   multi-isearch-files-matching
>>   multi-isearch-files-regexp-matching
>
> I'd suggest having just simple commands that let you enter buffer/file names, as
> I said above.
>
> Anyway, do whatever you want in this regard. I agree that it's good for users to
> be able to both (a) choose files/buffers by name individually, and (b) choose
> them by regexp matching.

I agree 8 commands is too much.  So I left the number of commands unchanged.
Now interactively `multi-isearch-buffers' and `multi-isearch-buffers-regexp'
read buffer names to search, one by one, ended with RET.  With a prefix
argument, they ask for a regexp, and search in buffers whose names match
the specified regexp.  Interactively `multi-isearch-files' and
`multi-isearch-files-regexp' read file names to search, one by one,
ended with RET.  With a prefix argument, they ask for a wildcard, and
search in file buffers whose file names match the specified wildcard.

(PS: Some new reading functions duplicate some code from other existing
functions with subtle differences, and I see no way to use existing
functions as is, so I added comments that point to original code).

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

Subject: 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?)
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:49:52 -0700

emacs -Q
 
In NEWS it says:
 
 ** The package misearch.el has been added.  It allows Isearch to search
 through multiple buffers.  A variable `multi-isearch-next-buffer-function'
 defines the function to call to get the next buffer to search in the series
 of multiple buffers.  Top-level commands `multi-isearch-buffers',
 `multi-isearch-buffers-regexp', `multi-isearch-files' and
 `multi-isearch-files-regexp' accept a single argument that specifies
 a list of buffers/files to search for a string/regexp.
 
But this is false. The functions `multi-isearch-buffers',
`multi-isearch-buffers-regexp', `multi-isearch-files' and
`multi-isearch-files-regexp', defined in misearch.el, are not defined
as commands.
 
1. Shouldn't they be commands? I.e., this is the first bug.
Or else change the NEWS item.
 
2. I find no explanation of using Isearch with multiple buffers or
files anywhere, including in the Emacs manual. This needs to be
documented somewhere.
 
Logically, this should be explained in a new section of the Isearch
chapter of the Emacs manual. It is even the case that multi-isearch is
handled, in its essentials, in isearch.el (not in misearch.el). So
this is really an integral part of Isearch. It needs to be properly
documented as such. That means at least (1) in the Emacs manual and
(2) in the file Commentary of isearch.el.
 
I would even say that it should be documented how to use the
multi-isearch framework to set up multiple buffers etc. for
searching. It's not obvious (1) that you can do that or (2) how to do
that.  There is no reason not to let Emacs-Lisp programmers know about
this. This is provided out of the box as part of Isearch, and it
should be well documented.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'