Subject: bug#47243: pr lacks -p

From: Stan Marsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2025 08:41:00 -0600

>Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

>Thanks for looking into that. Unfortunately POSIX says -p should be
>ignored only if standard output is a terminal, and that newline should
-----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shouldn't this be "ignored unless standard output is a terminal" ?

>be read from /dev/tty, not from standard input. This is so that users
>can pipe into 'pr -p'. So the proposed patch needs some changes. Here
>are the issues I found:

Then	Pádraig Brady wrote:
>Reading POSIX more closely I see there is also pause logic for the first page 
>only:
>  -f    [XSI] [Option Start] Use a <form-feed> for new pages, instead of the default 
>behavior that uses a sequence of <newline> characters.
>        Pause before beginning the first page if the standard output is 
>associated with a terminal. [Option End]

How can it be both?

And, one wonders, why do both -F and -f do the same thing?
(The man page on my system says they do...)

Note: I've been using -F with pr since forever; I had no idea (until now) that -f
did the same thing.

=================================================================================
Please do not send me replies to my posts on the list.
I always read the replies via the web archive, so CC'ing to me is unnecessary.

Note that they always end up in my Spam file anyway, so it is annoying
to have to periodically clean that out.