Subject: Re: bug#47238: [PATCH] services: mcron: Export procedures for shepherd service

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 22:11:51 +0200

Hi,

Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/services/mcron.scm (job-files): Export procedure.
>   (shepherd-schedule-action): Likewise.
> ---
> I am going to write an mcron service for `guix home`[1] so users can run
> cron jobs for syncing mail, backups etc.  It would be nice to be able to
> use these two procedures to avoid code duplication.
>
> [1]: https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/[email-masked]

I’m often reluctant to exposing more than what’s strictly necessary
because that can then complicate maintenance work—we now have to extra
bindings to maintain.

In this case, it’s definitely not the end of the world, but I wonder if
there are other ways we could achieve what you have in mind.  For
instance, could Guix Home reuse ‘mcron-service-type’ as is?  Or, with an
eye on getting Guix Home into Guix proper, are there some minimal
changes we could make to accommodate that?

(I have yet to play with Guix Home and to look at the implementation…)

Ludo’.