Subject: 28.0.50; ebdb-mua-pop-up bad interaction with gnus window configurations

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 16:01:54 +0100

Hi Eric,

This is with ebdb 0.6.22.

I set up gnus to have a window configuration that shows the *Group*,
*Summary*, *Article* windows simultaneously:

(gnus-add-configuration
 '(article
   (horizontal 1.0
               (vertical 50 (group 1.0))
               (vertical 1.0
                         (summary 0.3 point)
                         (article 1.0)))))
(gnus-add-configuration
 '(summary
   (horizontal 1.0
               (vertical 50 (group 1.0))
               (vertical 1.0 (summary 1.0 point)))))

And also to pop up a new frame whenever I write a message:

(dolist (key '(message edit-article post reply forward reply-yank bug))
  (gnus-add-configuration
   `(,key
     (frame 1.0
            (if (not (buffer-live-p gnus-summary-buffer))
                (car (cdr (assoc 'group gnus-buffer-configuration)))
              (car (cdr (assoc 'summary gnus-buffer-configuration))))
            (vertical ((user-position . t) (top . 1) (left . 1)
                       (name . ,(symbol-name key)))
                      (message 1.0 point))))))

Unfortunately, when ebdb-mua-pop-up is t, two things happen:

1. When I enter a group from the *Group* buffer, I end up with only
the *Summary* and *Article* buffer.

2. When I reply to a message, I donʼt get a new frame popping up.

Setting ebdb-mua-pop-up to nil fixes both those, but then I donʼt have
an ebdb window.

Thanks

Robert

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 29, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-03-12 built on rltb
Repository revision: 14b54cea1756f4d66c7376c55cf4aa88e8c3c0c3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-check-lisp-object-type'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  key-chord-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-atomic-chrome-edit-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  epa-global-mail-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/rpluim/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-20201001.1727/dictionary hides /home/rpluim/repos/emacs-real-master/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow helm-ring emacsbug char-fold misearch multi-isearch recentf
tree-widget helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark helm-adaptive
helm-external helm-net supercite regi footnote mule-util sort smiley
gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gnus-topic nndraft
nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual utf-7
nnfolder gnus-cache epa-file network-stream nntp gnutls winner
helm-command ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex
bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-styles
cc-align tex-buf latex latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake tex-ispell
tex-style tex-info tex texmathp texinfo sh-script smie executable
autoconf autoconf-mode bug-reference disp-table whitespace which-func
hl-line windmove face-remap key-chord debbugs-gnu add-log debbugs
soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm warnings rng-xsd xsd-regexp
dired+ image-dired image-file image-converter dired-x dired-aux
cus-edit+ ox-ioslide f dash s ox-texinfo ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-md ox-html table ox-beamer ox-latex
ox-publish ox org-element org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp org-table org-keys
org-loaddefs avl-tree generator ol ob-exp ob-core org-compat ob-eval
org-macs helm-mode helm-imenu helm-descbinds helm-ls-git vc-git
diff-mode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher helm-elisp helm-files tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp helm-eval edebug backtrace helm-info helm-utils
helm-types helm-help helm-config helm async-bytecomp
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-source eieio-compat
helm-multi-match helm-lib async atomic-chrome websocket bindat
markdown-mode color thingatpt noutline outline easy-mmode quail
ebdb-helm ebdb-message sendmail ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums time-date mm-util mail-prsvr ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm
ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode speedbar
ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
timezone pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile comint
ansi-color ring cus-edit wid-edit pdf-view bookmark
text-property-search pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
advice format-spec image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif finder-inf
paren savehist minibuf-eldef autorevert filenotify epa-mail mail-utils
epa derived epg epg-config desktop frameset cus-start cus-load server
cc-cmds cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv info tex-site edmacro kmacro eieio-core cl-macs gv
eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib rx iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 867595 90642)
 (symbols 48 53737 1)
 (strings 32 278875 8185)
 (string-bytes 1 8871036)
 (vectors 16 98013)
 (vector-slots 8 1587936 73883)
 (floats 8 517 156)
 (intervals 56 9084 888)
 (buffers 992 69))

Robert
--