Subject: Re: bug#47230: Build phase to graft during build for better grafts QA

From: Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:44:43 +0100

On Thu, 2021-03-18 at 21:41 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I think it’s more of a discussion for guix-devel than a bug
> report.  :-)

Yes but then I was thinking how do we track progress without losing it
in the pile of emails from guix-devel people receive everyday which
made me create a bug in the idea of "feature-request".. don't know.

> What you describe, AIUI, is not possible: there are no phases or
> anything like that happening on grafted packages.  Quoth the manual
> (info "(guix) Security Updates"):
> 
>   Other restrictions may apply: for instance, when adding a graft to
> a
>   package providing a shared library, the original shared library and
> its
>   replacement must have the same ‘SONAME’ and be binary-compatible.

I am not sure we understand each other, I am proposing we could add
tooling to aid that testing.

> As I wrote earlier today, these things have to be checked by
> packagers;
> they’re not easily automated because that usually involves knowing
> the
> intent of upstream developers, for example whether they intend the
> new
> version to be ABI-compatible with the version we have at hand, etc.
> 
> HTH!

Yes of course, but aided by tooling that process can me smoother, e.g.
figuring out the SONAME has changed could at least be checked
automatically and issue a warning/error. Same thing with abidiff etc.
these tools are really great and we could create an easy way to run the
test suite of a package with the graft in also.

> Ludo’.

Thank you