Subject: Re: bug#47222: Serious bug in Nettle's ecdsa_verify

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:21:40 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Are there plans to make a new 3.5 release including these fixes?

No, I don't plan any 3.5.x release.

> Alternatively, could you provide guidance as to which commits should be
> cherry-picked in 3.5 for downstream distros?

Look at the branch release-3.7-fixes
(https://git.lysator.liu.se/nettle/nettle/-/commits/release-3.7-fixes/).
The commits since 3.7.1 are the ones you need.

Changes to gostdsa and ed448 will not apply, since those curves didn't
exist in nettle-3.5. Changes to ed25519 might not apply cleanly, due to
refactoring when adding ed448.

> I’m asking because in Guix, the easiest way for us to deploy the fixes
> on the ‘master’ branch would be by “grafting” a new Nettle variant
> ABI-compatible with 3.5.1, which is the one packages currently depend on.

I still recommend upgrading to the latest version. There were an abi
break in 3.6 (so you'd need to recompile lots of guix packages), but no
incompatible changes to the (source level) api.

Regards,
/Niels

-- 
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.