Subject: 23.1.50; CVS emacs no longer builds on Mac OSX 10.4

From: Austin Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:06:05 -0400

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

With a fresh CVS checkout from 2009-10-14 I can no longer build emacs
using the --with-ns configuration option.

I successfully completed a build using

./configure --without-dbus && make

But cannot build using

./configure --without-dbus --with-ns && make

I get the following output during that build

#v+
[...]
gcc -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I/Users/aufrank/src.remote/emacs/src -Dtemacs  -I/opt/local/include/librsvg-2 -I/opt/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/gtk-2.0 -I/opt/local/include/cairo -I/opt/local/include/pixman-1 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include/libpng12  -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign   nsterm.m
In file included from nsterm.m:41:
nsterm.h:57: error: cannot find protocol declaration for ‘NSWindowDelegate’
nsterm.h:107: error: cannot find protocol declaration for ‘NSMenuDelegate’
nsterm.h:134: error: cannot find protocol declaration for ‘NSToolbarDelegate’
nsterm.h:177: error: cannot find protocol declaration for ‘NSWindowDelegate’
nsterm.m: In function ‘ns_color_to_lisp’:
nsterm.m:1452: error: ‘CGFloat’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1452: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
nsterm.m:1452: error: for each function it appears in.)
nsterm.m:1452: error: parse error before ‘red’
nsterm.m:1467: error: ‘red’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1467: error: ‘green’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1467: error: ‘blue’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1467: error: ‘alpha’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1471: error: ‘gray’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m: In function ‘ns_query_color’:
nsterm.m:1494: error: ‘CGFloat’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1494: error: parse error before ‘r’
nsterm.m:1496: error: ‘r’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1496: error: ‘g’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1496: error: ‘b’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m:1496: error: ‘a’ undeclared (first use in this function)
nsterm.m: At top level:
nsterm.m:4670: error: parse error before ‘NSInteger’
nsterm.m:4708: error: parse error before ‘NSUInteger’
nsterm.m:5398: error: parse error before ‘NSUInteger’
nsterm.m:5599: warning: incomplete implementation of class ‘EmacsView’
nsterm.m:5599: warning: method definition for ‘-characterIndexForPoint:’ not found
nsterm.m:5599: warning: method definition for ‘-conversationIdentifier’ not found
nsterm.m:5599: warning: class ‘EmacsView’ does not fully implement the ‘NSTextInput’ protocol
nsterm.m:5683: error: parse error before ‘CGFloat’
make[1]: *** [nsterm.o] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2  
#v-

I believe this problem can be attributed to the following change,
reported in src/Changelog:

> 2009-10-11  Adrian Robert  <[email-masked]>
>        Cleanups and changes for 64-bit compile under Snow Leopard.  Based
>        on suggestions by Erik Charlebois.

I am making this bug report from a version successfully built last week.

Thanks,
/au

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.3 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, NS apple-appkit-824.48)
 of 2009-10-09 on malibu.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.824
configured using `configure  '--without-dbus' '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net
GPG Public Key (D7398C2F): http://aufrank.net/personal.asc