Subject: Re: bug#47215: 28.0.50; Let M-x switch between M-x and M-X

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 06:08:29 +0100

Felician Nemeth <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wish there was a convenient way to switch back and forth between
> execute-extended-command and execute-extended-command-for-buffer.  I
> think M-x would be an ideal binding for this as it is easy to press and
> more useful than the current "Command attempted to use minibuffer while
> in minibuffer".
>
> I'd imagine this feature being somewhat analogous to how ido-find-file
> falls back to find-file after C-f.

Yes, being able to move from `execute-extended-command-for-buffer' to
`execute-extended-command' makes sense, but I'm not sure the other
direction is as useful.  And while there's only two of these commands
today, I think it's likely that (in the future) that we'll grow more of
these.

I'm not quite sure how to implement this, though -- we basically end up
in `completing-read', and `execute-extended-command-for-buffer' would
have to define an `M-x' binding there, I guess...  and then somehow call
`read-extended-command' with the text already in the minibuffer.

Anybody got an idea as to how to implement this without rewriting
`read-extended-command' completely?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no