Subject: 27.1; Why bind some commands by default if they're not defined?

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 17:57:45 +0000

emacs -Q
C-h b

There is this entry, with no link on the command name:

 M-s h f		hi-lock-find-patterns

This is apparently because file `bindings.el' adds the key binding:

  (define-key search-map "hf"   'hi-lock-find-patterns)

Is it a good idea that we do this even though the command is not yet
defined?

Seems like such a binding should be in hi-lock.el, and be created only
after the command is created, no?

(This bug is a bit similar to #47197, I guess.  But `vc-ignore' doesn't
seem to be bound anywhere.)

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2020-08-12 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 86d8d76aa36037184db0b2897c434cdaab1a9ae8
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19041
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2004.19041.804)