Subject: Re: bug#47188: "guix lint -c cve" does not account for language prefixes (rust-,python-,go-,..)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 14:26:18 +0100

Hi,

Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]> skribis:

> ./pre-inst-env guix lint -c cve [email-masked]
> Here this should return at least CVE-2021-28363 but it does not because
> the CVE database contains urllib3 and not python-urllib3 (which AFAICT
> the cve linter searches for).
>
> Annotating each and every python-, go-, and rust- package with cpe-name 
> properties is going to be very annoying. I suggest we add some
> heuristics that try both the full name and prefix-trimmed name. python-
> urllib3's cpe name and vendor is python (vendor) urllib3 (name).
>
> Same story for CVE-2021-28305 and rust-diesel, though it doesnt even
> have a CPE entry yet.

Yes, that’s an issue.  We can address these by adding a ‘cpe-name’
property (info "(guix) Invoking guix lint"), but that’s going to be
tedious.  We can at least add it to high-profile packages for now.

Tooling that suggests or deduces the CPE name would help a lot:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42299

Ludo’.