Subject: bug#4718: 23.1; C-h f gives doc for the wrong function

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:49:37 -0700

emacs -Q
 
C-h f dired-byte-compile RET
 
The doc for a different function, `dired-do-byte-compile', is shown
instead.
 
Similarly, for other functions that do not have doc strings. E.g., it
shows the doc for `dired-compress-file' when you ask for
`dired-compress'.
 
This is silly. It was far better in Emacs 22 (21, 20, 19, 18,...),
where Emacs told you clearly that there was no doc for the function
requested.
 
It is too easy not to notice that Emacs is in fact giving you the
wrong thing - something different from what you requested. You assume
that Emacs DTRT and that what you see is the doc you requested.
 
Instead, you now need to pay close attention and double-check the
function name at the top of the *Help* buffer. This makes life harder
for users, not easier.
 
If a user asks about oranges, it's inappropriate to tell him/her about
apples, especially without even saying anything (We know nothing about
oranges, would you like to know about apples instead?).
 
This is a serious UI bug.
 
In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'