Subject: bug#47170: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Native compilation sometimes crashes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 20:20:18 +0200

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 19:36:40 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> Not sure why, but manual compilation of some files started crashing
> today.

Actually, just starting Emacs crashes in the same way.  Note that the
crash is in functions from frame.el and faces.el.

I think this is somehow related to the situation that an Emacs which
has a native-compiled preloaded files in its pdumper file (and thus
loads them at startup) is used to native-compile those preloaded files
(in the case above, faces.el and frame.el).  This needs to overwrite
the .eln files loaded into the running process, and I think this
causes some trouble on Windows.  I will have to try to recreate this
and see what happens with the old and the new .eln files in such
cases.

For now, I just removed all the *.eln files and emacs.exe, and then
recompiled the *.el files and redumped Emacs.  As result, Emacs no
longer crashes on startup.