Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Native compilation sometimes crashes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 19:36:40 +0200

Not sure why, but manual compilation of some files started crashing
today.  Yesterday the same files compiled fine, and I don't think they
changed (but comp.c and comp.el did change).  Here's a backtrace of
one such crash:

  Thread 1 received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
  0x6b8cb07e in F6672616d652d7365742d6261636b67726f756e642d6d6f6465_frame_set_background_mode_0 ()
     from d:\gnu\git\emacs\native-comp\native-lisp\28.0.50-88a242e7\frame-b40fc590-4b10766b.eln
  (gdb) bt
  #0  0x6b8cb07e in F6672616d652d7365742d6261636b67726f756e642d6d6f6465_frame_set_background_mode_0 ()
     from d:\gnu\git\emacs\native-comp\native-lisp\28.0.50-88a242e7\frame-b40fc590-4b10766b.eln
  #1  0x01260914 in funcall_subr (subr=0x6220e1c, numargs=2, args=0x82f830)
      at eval.c:3086
  #2  0x01260359 in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=0x82f828) at eval.c:3009
  #3  0x61bd28d9 in F7474792d7365742d75702d696e697469616c2d6672616d652d6661636573_tty_set_up_initial_frame_faces_0 ()
     from d:\gnu\git\emacs\native-comp\native-lisp\28.0.50-88a242e7\faces-b9447c93-6003bec6.eln
  #4  0x012608c9 in funcall_subr (subr=0x5f37c8c, numargs=0, args=0x82fa00)
      at eval.c:3082
  #5  0x01260359 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x82f9f8) at eval.c:3009
  #6  0x0125f621 in call0 (fn=XIL(0x46cd8fc)) at eval.c:2862
  #7  0x0101300d in init_faces_initial () at dispnew.c:6311
  #8  0x010136c7 in init_display () at dispnew.c:6518
  #9  0x0115ed1f in main (argc=7, argv=0xa44130) at emacs.c:2043

  Lisp Backtrace:
  "frame-set-background-mode" (0x82f830)
  "tty-set-up-initial-frame-faces" (0x82fa00)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 40, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2021-03-15 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: aabda4263bc2000a69e61e93a232e71f8afedec9
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-native-compilation
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify
w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 73614 8612)
 (symbols 48 7803 0)
 (strings 16 22574 2563)
 (string-bytes 1 660985)
 (vectors 16 13350)
 (vector-slots 8 274690 9788)
 (floats 8 24 41)
 (intervals 40 263 110)
 (buffers 888 10))