Subject: bug#47170: closed (Re: bug#47170: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Native compilation sometimes crashes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 12:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47170: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Native compilation sometimes crashes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47170: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47170
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47170: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Native compilation sometimes crashes
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 15:23:40 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 08:27:52 +0000
> 
> > I think this is somehow related to the situation that an Emacs which
> > has a native-compiled preloaded files in its pdumper file (and thus
> > loads them at startup) is used to native-compile those preloaded files
> > (in the case above, faces.el and frame.el).  This needs to overwrite
> > the .eln files loaded into the running process, and I think this
> > causes some trouble on Windows.  I will have to try to recreate this
> > and see what happens with the old and the new .eln files in such
> > cases.
> >
> > For now, I just removed all the *.eln files and emacs.exe, and then
> > recompiled the *.el files and redumped Emacs.  As result, Emacs no
> > longer crashes on startup.
> 
> Hi Eli, have you experienced any other of this kind crashes?

Not recently, no.  So I'm going to assume the problem was fixed, and
close the bug.

Thanks.

Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Native compilation sometimes crashes
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 19:36:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Not sure why, but manual compilation of some files started crashing
today.  Yesterday the same files compiled fine, and I don't think they
changed (but comp.c and comp.el did change).  Here's a backtrace of
one such crash:

  Thread 1 received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
  0x6b8cb07e in F6672616d652d7365742d6261636b67726f756e642d6d6f6465_frame_set_background_mode_0 ()
     from d:\gnu\git\emacs\native-comp\native-lisp\28.0.50-88a242e7\frame-b40fc590-4b10766b.eln
  (gdb) bt
  #0  0x6b8cb07e in F6672616d652d7365742d6261636b67726f756e642d6d6f6465_frame_set_background_mode_0 ()
     from d:\gnu\git\emacs\native-comp\native-lisp\28.0.50-88a242e7\frame-b40fc590-4b10766b.eln
  #1  0x01260914 in funcall_subr (subr=0x6220e1c, numargs=2, args=0x82f830)
      at eval.c:3086
  #2  0x01260359 in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=0x82f828) at eval.c:3009
  #3  0x61bd28d9 in F7474792d7365742d75702d696e697469616c2d6672616d652d6661636573_tty_set_up_initial_frame_faces_0 ()
     from d:\gnu\git\emacs\native-comp\native-lisp\28.0.50-88a242e7\faces-b9447c93-6003bec6.eln
  #4  0x012608c9 in funcall_subr (subr=0x5f37c8c, numargs=0, args=0x82fa00)
      at eval.c:3082
  #5  0x01260359 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x82f9f8) at eval.c:3009
  #6  0x0125f621 in call0 (fn=XIL(0x46cd8fc)) at eval.c:2862
  #7  0x0101300d in init_faces_initial () at dispnew.c:6311
  #8  0x010136c7 in init_display () at dispnew.c:6518
  #9  0x0115ed1f in main (argc=7, argv=0xa44130) at emacs.c:2043

  Lisp Backtrace:
  "frame-set-background-mode" (0x82f830)
  "tty-set-up-initial-frame-faces" (0x82fa00)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 40, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2021-03-15 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: aabda4263bc2000a69e61e93a232e71f8afedec9
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-native-compilation
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify
w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 73614 8612)
 (symbols 48 7803 0)
 (strings 16 22574 2563)
 (string-bytes 1 660985)
 (vectors 16 13350)
 (vector-slots 8 274690 9788)
 (floats 8 24 41)
 (intervals 40 263 110)
 (buffers 888 10))