Subject: Re: bug#4717: 23.1.50; C-M-h in bibtex mode

From: [email-masked] (H. Dieter Wilhelm)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 00:53:32 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

...

> Ideally BibTeX's C-M-h should not be rebound, and instead
> beginning-of-defun-function and end-of-defun-function should be set in
> such as way that mark-defun marks the same text as bibtex-mark-entry.

I did not yet test it good enough but your idea worked out of the box,
beginning/end-of-defun and mark-defun seem to recognise bibtex entries
already properly without further ado! :-)

>> I would like to volunteer and also argue that point 2) i. e. putting
>> point *behind* a marked element(s) and advancing the marking from point
>> is advantageous for large elements (pages, defuns, paragraphs), when the
>> marked elements might span outside of the current window and the marking
>> commands are repeated.  In this case the buffer is scrolled
>> automatically with the new boundary and possible additional marking
>> targets become visible.
>
> Of course, C-SPC M-C-e M-C-e M-C-e would work about as well in that
> case ;-)

And one better - in my opinion - C-M-S-e C-M-S-e ...  (But the two
methods are only working like C-M-h when point is already at the
beginning of a defun.)

Anyway, I understand now that it might be better to have two ways of
advancing a region: From point with navigation commands *and* from mark
with marking commands like C-M-e or M-}...

     Dieter
-- 
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt, Germany