Subject: Re: bug#4717: 23.1.50; C-M-h in bibtex mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:37:56 -0500

> Summary of this thread from 2009 about the unusual behaviour of
> C-M-h (bibtex-mark-entry) in BibTeX mode
> 1) In BibTeX mode C-M-h does (still) not switch on a transient region

Indeed.

Ideally BibTeX's C-M-h should not be rebound, and instead
beginning-of-defun-function and end-of-defun-function should be set in
such as way that mark-defun marks the same text as bibtex-mark-entry.

> 4) The optional argument ALLOW-EXTEND is not explained in the doc string

It is, tho indirectly:

   Interactively, if this command is repeated
   or (in Transient Mark mode) if the mark is active,
   it marks the next defun after the ones already marked.

> I would like to volunteer and also argue that point 2) i. e. putting
> point *behind* a marked element(s) and advancing the marking from point
> is advantageous for large elements (pages, defuns, paragraphs), when the
> marked elements might span outside of the current window and the marking
> commands are repeated.  In this case the buffer is scrolled
> automatically with the new boundary and possible additional marking
> targets become visible.

Of course, C-SPC M-C-e M-C-e M-C-e would work about as well in that
case ;-)

        Stefan