Subject: bug#4717: 23.1.50; C-M-h in bibtex mode

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:38:45 -0500

On Sun Oct 18 2009 Chong Yidong wrote:
> > mark-defun does not put point where beginning-of-defun puts it. But
> > if there is an empty line preceding the beginning-of-defun location,
> > mark-defun will put point there. Why? The docstring of mark-defun
> > does not explain this behavior.
> 
> I don't know the answer.  This behavior dates to 1993, though, so I
> don't think it's feasible to change it for Lisp mode.

Agreed, changing it will probably break something. Could it be that
the empty line was included so that in a sequence of defuns (each
normally separated by one empty line) mark-defun could by used, for
example in combination with kill-region and yank to move around
defuns in a simple way?

No matter whether something like that or anything else was the
actual reason for implementing this behavior, the docstring should
always document the actual behavior

Roland