Subject: bug#47169: closed (Re: bug#47169: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] native-compiler-error-empty-byte when batch-native-compiling is confusing to users)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 21:47:03 +0000

Your bug report

#47169: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] native-compiler-error-empty-byte when batch-native-compiling is confusing to users

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47169: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47169
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47169: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] native-compiler-error-empty-byte when batch-native-compiling is confusing to users
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Mauricio Collares <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 21:46:38 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mauricio Collares <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> Hi Mauricio,
>>
>> sorry for the sloppy/untested patch, 3e133cc050 works for me please have
>> a try.
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> I can confirm that I no longer see native-compiler-error-empty-byte
> being signaled in such cases. Many thanks for the fix!

Super, thanks for reporting.

Closing, thanks!

  Andrea

Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] native-compiler-error-empty-byte when batch-native-compiling is confusing to users
From: Mauricio Collares <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 14:34:51 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Some packages contain valid .el files such that batch-byte-compiling
them does not produce an .elc file, for example because they set
"no-byte-compile" to t. Running batch-byte-compile on such a file exits
successfully (without outputting any .elc file, of course) but running
batch-native-compile exits with native-compiler-error-empty-byte.

In the Nix package manager, we native-compile packages at installation
time, and we do so by calling batch-native-compile for each .el file in
the package separately. So in our use case .el files as described above
shouldn't trigger error messages. We can work around this on the Nix
side, but I was wondering if it would be better to turn the error into a
warning (or even not emit a warning at all, since technically everything
went well).

Step to reproduce: batch-native-compile a file that sets no-byte-compile
to t.

(Reporting this on behalf of a user, see
https://github.com/nix-community/emacs-overlay/issues/120)

Best,
Mauricio